Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Something in the Water

One of the Ithaca Times editors today walked into my "office" (an open space next to the managing editor's/A&E editor's office) and asked me whether I'd written the cover story for the issue that hit newsstands today. I told him I hadn't, and he said, good, because Cornell could make you disappear for that sort of thing.

"Calling yourself Mark Twain, or even better, Hemingway, is a good idea for an article like this," he said. "And leave no forwarding address."

The story is good at explaining the scientific aspects, but if I had written it, there are a few things I would have changed:Cay
  1. Include more than two sources, especially for a front-page story.
  2. Talked to someone from Cornell, because the article in a large way concerns the school.
  3. Pit the two sources against each other. Let each know what the other is saying so they can respond.
  4. Do not have Hang defending himself in the third paragraph. Save that for later. Because Hang apologizes before attacking Cornell, he appears as a very weak character.
The article is hardly an attack on Cornell if the "Pollution Patrol" is comprised of one person and his opposition (which is not even Cornell!) gets the last word. I don't think Mr. Chaisson really need fear for his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment