Sunday, November 7, 2010

God Is

I sort that I may construct
rough-hewn thoughts into
corpus - my dust and breath,

hurl abstract words
small as stones
into the slag heap,

saving, savoring concrete
words with which I raise my synagogue
foundation - writing, rhetoric, resonance.

I wish life was a stone
I did not have to cast
with the others as I

build my beautiful Babel,
my altar of witness that
sin is a mere word, that

sacrifice is meaningless, that
faith is ritual only, that
objects matter neither,

and that God is not written
throughout. With this
knowledge I build,

from the slag heap
construct my faith.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I know it's been a very long time since we've spoken, and this probably seems a little bit strange to e-mail you. I've spent the last 3 months in Ethiopia and will be home briefly for about two weeks for Thanksgiving before returning for 6 more months. As you would know much better than I do, Ethiopia is steeped in a deeply religious culture and history and a number of my friends have requested English Bibles which are difficult and expensive to obtain. I was wondering if you might know where I could go to purchase Bibles inexpensively near Randolph or whether there are even churches that give them for free. If you are around at the end of November, it would also be great to see you. I remember well your knowledge and passion concerning religion, and I am constantly struck and in admiration by the faith shown by people here (I'm learning every day).

    Best,
    Megana

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I couldn't get your e-mail address to work, so I apologize for the cyber-stalking. You will have to forgive me as I am not on that thing called Facebook. My e-mail is MDwarakanath20 AT gmail DOT com.

    ReplyDelete